Monday, April 14, 2008

Still a lazy bitch

Wow, this has got to be THE slackest blog on the Internet! Well, who gives a flying fuck? It's not like anyone actually READS this shit, is it? The masses are more interested in reading about hand-bags, moronic celebrities and sex. Hmmm. The last one doesn't sound so bad ... except for the fact that I currently can't have sex, thanks to something I've done to my neck. My whole left side hurts, it hurts to breathe and it most certainly hurts to laugh. So don't even think about making this lazy bitch laugh today, or I might just have to find something sharp and insert it into your ear cavity.

It's autumn here now. Autumn is definitely my favourite season of the year. A time when change is embraced, celebrated. All around Melbourne deciduous trees are lining up to flaunt their garish colours; a veritable orgy of yellows, browns, oranges, reds and purples my darlings! On the Burwood Highway, I was delighted to feast my eyes upon an amazing sight: a particular breed of tree whose foliage doesn't change colour as one. On one tree, you may see only one branch that has assumed its autumnal visage. Maybe it may be two or three branches. Contrasted against the "Microsoft Start Button" green, the sections of colour are a sharp gradation from "banana" yellow to "too-much-fake-tan" orange to "be-my-valentine" red. The overall effect? That one is watching the foliage slowly burn away. The leaves wither and die, to be re-absorbed by the soil. In spring, the tiny buds of life will be re-born of the ashes. The relentless beauty in the passage of time.

There are more changes for me. My contract at Coles is coming to an end, and from this end, there are (as yet unseen) new beginnings.

I seriously believe that our pod is cursed though. This is a pod of just five seats (and a stonking great support pillar) surrounded by cubicle walls and one bank of windows. In these past eight months, I've seen at least 8 people move on to other departments, resign, or be made redundant. When I go, not one of the originals will remain. I worked in another pod like this at Optus once, and we nicknamed it "The Bermuda Rectangle." Someone even put up a sign. Optus management had a sense-of-humour failure and naturally took down the sign. Boring bastards! Continuing in this tradition, we had a quick brain-storm (read: excuse to do fuck-all for ten minutes) and came up with some alternative names:

- The Departure Lounge
- The Loser Pod (it has often been called this by the people in the next pod over. Jealousy is also a curse)
- The Launch Pod
- Greener Pastures

My favourite is still "Bermuda Rectangle." I get the gigglesnorts just thinking of that one, which SUCKS because it still FUCKING HURTS TO LAUGH.

No comments: